Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Day 14 – What is the hardest thing about living in Japan versus your home country?

source
 HEIGHT
.
.
.
.
I considered leaving this as a one-word post but I'll whine a little longer about this instead. :) Fellow Japan blogger, Miss Godzilla hit it right on the head with her nickname. Being a female over 170cm in Japan feels like Godzilla trying to disguise himself as a proper lady at a tea party. I mean... okay, it's not like being 180cm (my height) is really that devastating, but it's enough to notice doors are kinda short in places, dresses/skirts are wayyy too short at times, sleeves don't fit my long arms, and little kids filterlessly shout "デカイ!" (huge!) at you every chance they get (even when they've known you for more than a year..... and yes, those that know me DO get an earful if I hear that word escape their mouths). I hate when my Japanaese girl-friends say they're "jealous" of my height, because I know that if given the chance they'd stay short and unnoticeable compared to turning tall and awkward. Also, the whole kitchen thing is really a pain in my back (literally). Kitchen counters/sinks/stoves are much to short for me in my apartment and I end up achy-er than normal after making lunch/dinner.

The plight of the tall girl is an uphill battle. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment