Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day!

Strawberry Truffle Brownies cut out like Dinos~
Happy Valentine's Day!

Oh, Valentine's Day. I have my problems with this "holiday" in general; the crazy it brings out of people and the bitterness is draws out of others is a bit frightening for a "holiday" where you don't even get a day off! The idea that someone would break up with someone else just because they don't want to get the other a gift for Valentine's Day just goes to show how consumer-oriented it's become. Speaking of consumer-oriented cultures, the way Japan has gone and capitalized on this day is a step faarrrr beyond the normal definition of "insane." Special V-day themed packaging becomes more like an incurable disease as it spreads over everything from chocolate to beer in the supermarket and conbinis. Also, the fact that Japan couldn't be satisfied with just V-day and had to make a White Day too, gender-specifying the significance for each day... *sigh... in any case, I still like making sweets for people and getting the cutest chocolates from my teachers and students.

I also always appreciate a holiday where you can say "I love/like/appreciate you" to the people you care about. With that, I hope you all have a wonderful little (rainy) Valentine's Day and make something special with/for someone you care about~ I know I am ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment